My photo
Otsego, Minnesota, United States
This is the place to view recent images that I photographed and to learn a few things about me. All images are copyrighted by Katie Raivala Photography.

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Relay for Life

On Friday night I walked in the Relay for Life for the first time. It was an amazing experience that I won't soon forget.


The first lap around the track was designated for the cancer survivors. It was an overwhelming site to see so many people where purple shirts (that meant they were survivors) and to see how their families and friends were supporting them. Even thinking about it now makes me tear up.

Here is a picture of my ol' coworker and friend, Mitch. He was diagnosed with cancer last winter. I still look at him and think "how can someone like Mitch get cancer?" He is one of the healthiest people that I know. I mean come on, last summer he biked from Hinkley up to Duluth and back in one weekend. I definitely could not do that!
Another one of my fellow team mates lost her mother to cancer a few years ago. To honor her mother she had a luminary created for her and she carried the picture of her mother on the walk.
After the Survivor's walked the first lap, all of the teams were asked to walk. We had about 20 people on our team. It was really cool to meet so many new people and to reminisce with my ol' coworkers.
After night fell, everyone was asked to walk on the track again for a lap of silence. I had a hard time fighting off the emotions as I walked around the track while bag pipes played. It is still unbelievable to think that every luminary represents a person who either currently has cancer, is a survivor or someone that lost their life to the disease.

Team Groundhog: Thanks for giving me the opportunity to be a part of the Relay for Life.




No comments: